TS4 -- Reinstall problem

i had to reformat my hard drive, and on reinstalling ts4 onto win 2k pro, and folowing the security block workaround written for win xp[which i have done several times b4 without problems], i got a strange result:

launching the offline data server, the program gets to the omega logo in the center of the screen, freezes, then beeps and disappears back to the desktop. there is no longer any security block error message. this denies me access to the program.

anybody got an idea what is wrong?

puzzled,
brad yoneoka