Re: Hyperserver, MetaTrader, Global Server and Charting

Hi Guys,
I've now found a solution to this. It may not be the only one, or the best, but I'll run through it here in the hope that it may be useful to others.

Many thanks to Kirk and Lee for their emails which helped home in on the problem and to HS's patient tech support - thanks guys.

The basic problem was that after running the HS Historical Plugin although Edit Data in GS was showing historical data, it was simply not charting in TS.

First of all, I had been using eSginal for data and GS already had a lot of back data. eSignal puts out Bid and Ask prices so this is what I had been collecting.

When setting up GS to run with HS for MT data, you need to run the GS Setup Wizard which gives you the option of retaining existing data and it seems to run a conversion process to do this. I selected this and although the data still appears in GS, in TS when you plot the data, the Volume section in the Format Symbol dialog only has 'Tick count' and 'Trade Volume' options. With eSginal there was a drop-down menu with Bid and Ask options.

Secondly, in order to collect MT data, in GS's Edit Symbol>History to save dialog, you need to insert Trade Record fields because this is what MT outputs.

In my case I had Ask and Bid fields in an attempt to retain existing eSignal data and also Trade record fields for the new MT data.

When trying to chart this concoction in TS, TS seems to latch onto the eSignal Bid data and plot that rather than plotting MT's historical Trade record data. The clue came by looking at the charts which said EURJPY BID-15 min. What created confusion was the fact that TS would plot new MT data that it was collecting in real time.

My solution was to remove the Bid and Ask fields from the History to save dialog. This meant losing the eSignal data but as I stopped using it because it was too spiky and untradable for short time frames I reckon it wasn't a major loss.

Historical MT data now plots perfectly and the charts show EURJPY LAST-15 min which shows that the Trade record is being used.

When running the GS Setup wizard, if you opt to delete all exiting data then I presume the original problem would not appear.

I hope this may be of help to anyone else experiencing problems with this setup.

Ian

Ian wrote:
There's probably a simple solution to this. I'll start with the short version and can supply further info if required.

Setting up 2000i with Hypserserver to download MetaTrader forex data. Finally got it working thanks to HS support - thanks guys!

Also using the Hyperserver Historical plug-in to download historical data. This works, too. At least when you go to Edit Symbol>Edit Data, you can see that back data has been downloaded. However, I'm struggling to chart this in TradeStation. The charts generally only show the data the system has physically downloaded which is data from the past couple of days since I got it up and running.

Now, what I've discovered so far is that the title of the charts have the word 'BID' in them like this - EURJPY BID-15 min. This is how they used to display with eSignal data as it used to chart Bid prices.

Through messing with the Exchange settings, session times and so on, I've managed to display one chart with the title USDCHF LAST-5 min. THIS chart displays the back data! But how exactly I got the chart like that, I've no idea and subsequent fiddling has failed to reproduce it on other charts.

Anyone know what's going on?

Ian