Re: Digest Numbering Starting Over

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Digest Numbering Starting Over
  • From: List Maintainer <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:29:34 -0800

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:12:49AM -0500, Sherrill H. Styers wrote:
> Why are the Digest numbers starting over?

Eskimo had a server crash that required data restoration from a backup.
That backup had the old digest numbering, so the new traffic went out
with the older numbering.  I didn't notice the problem in time to
fix it at the outset, and upon reflection, since the numbers start at
the new year, the disturbance was relatively minor.

> I received #3 on Jan. 5th & again on the 21st. After receiving #'s
> 4 thru 14 during the first half of the month, the second #4 thru 7
> started coming in on the 22nd. The first #2 came in on the 19th.
> I've yet to see #1. And why does the second #7 have only one post?
> It doesn't sound like its my ISP.

I believe the reset occurred on Jan 19, after digest #14, so you
could renumber the original 1-14 as 1x-14x or somesuch and assume
the subsequent numbering makes sense.

As far as I know, no email was lost; some days the list is slow
making for a small digest.  Sometimes, too, a large post will push
out the previously-collected material into a digest.

Hope that clears things up.

Jim