Re: Reliability of Esignal datafeed for TS2000i under XP ?

Copied to list, since its useful to others...

And the answer from Chuck Thompson, president of eSignal indicates that
it is resolved. eSignal releases more than one "build" under a single
revision - if we take Chuck at his word, and I see no reason to, then
the problem was resolved on March 31 (build 636a 03/31/04 on
http://www.esignal.com/download/)

> Hi Mike,
>
> Old news.
>
> Get the latest 7.6.
>
> We published that to those sites. The person that posted that never
> contacted us that we really know of ....
>
> No problem.
>
> Chuck

Regardless of the status of this issue, if you are not running a
hardware (my preference) or unix (my preference) or at least one of the
PC based software firewalls (not my preference, particularly the type
that only require you have one Ethernet card in your PC), you are
exposing yourself to unneccessary risk - not merely of eSignal being the
conduit to potential attacks, but big hunks of Windows itself for
starters.

Firewalls are also not a panacea. They largely work by blocking
initiation of conversation into your site via specific ports.

However, if your machine gets infected by a trojan / exploit / hijacker
/  *key stroke logging app* / etc it can well become a jumping off point
for remote control attacks on other systems within your network and/or a
new attacker of other systems on the internet. Once malware is operating
in side the firewall, it can use ports which typically must remain open
for *outbound* connections to ports 80,21,22,110,25, etc to initiate a
session with remote nasty machines. Once your machine inside the
firewall initiates a conversation to a bad-dude machine outside, your
firewall thinks the whole conversation is legit since your machine
*inside* initiated the conversation and permits it to carry on.

Home networks that contain a kids machine are probably particularly
vulnerable since their risk of infection is high, and they typically
will have unrestricted access to all the machines within the home
network. Field day!

That's a quick and dirty explanation but good enough I think to get the
message across. Protect yourself from attack from the outside. Protect
your machines on the inside from being exploited.

Mike