Re: Reliability of Esignal datafeed for TS2000i under XP ?

  • To: Bob R <bobrabcd@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Reliability of Esignal datafeed for TS2000i under XP ?
  • From: Michael Watkins <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 22:49:46 -0700

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 12:09, Bob R wrote:
> Now that you mention it, I have had two of the blue screens of death, one
> just a few minutes ago and one last week.  The hardware and software have
> run solid since switching from dtn sat to esignal in December.  I am
> thinking it has something to do with the V7.6 but can't be sure.

Apparently we *should* be running 7.6, as it fixes a vulnerability in
esignal that could be exploited by the malicious.

http://www.google.com/search?q=esignal+exploit

I verified with Chuck Thompson that the fix is in the current release.

It makes sense to be running behind a a firewall. Home office types can
get a lot of protection from a simple 40-70$ Linksys router put in line
between their hub and their ADSL or Cable Modem.

Anyone who is directly attaching a PC to the internet via a direct
attachment to an ADSL or cable modem is asking for serious trouble,
trouble you might not even realize you have.

On an average day 500 - 900 port scans are made against my IP address,
most of them carrying the signature of known and common hacks designed
to exploit Windows machines left open to the cruel world...

Reason I mention this: a few of the common attacks tend to cause frequent Blue Screen of Death problems.