Re: Uptick and Python

>Will there any licensing issues if Uptick is built in Python?

Python can be used freely in commercial software.  It seems all
you have to do in a derivative work is include the Python License
Agreement and Copyright Notice.

Here's a bit of discussion about it:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-October/066767.html

Python is compatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL),
which demands that derivative works be made available for free
in open source format.  However, Python DOES NOT demand that ITS
derivative works be compatible with the GPL.  The wording in the
Python license agreement was developed with the cooperation of the
Free Software Foundation which wrote the GPL.  While Python itself
is GPL compatible, its license does not require you to be.

>Again, I do not intend to make money on the basic toolkit but on, say,
>TradeStation built on top of Uptick. Will I be able to sell it without
>distributing the source code and violating the Python license?

Yes, it seems so.  It would be nice if you kept it open source for
others to make contributions.

-Alex