Re: Uptick: Tick-based futures trading engine .NET or Java

Frank wrote:
>The trading software industry is easy-entry and is saturated.
>There isn't a week that goes by without a new trading tool.  The
>programming languages are getting easier and more accessible, as
>computers become more powerful.  So the competition will only get
>worse.

All the more reason to go with something that uses open standards, and
is open source, and easily added on by a development community.  (I
don't think .NET qualifies in that regard).

>This also allows you to be free at choosing the language of
>your liking.  The .NET language is a giant leap from VB6.  It
>incorporates the power of C#, while getting rid of a lot of the
>lame aspects of VB6.  It's a very easy language to learn.  Going
>the perl/python/linux route is also a good choice, and is superior
>in terms of accessing an enormous tick database.  I personally
>think JAVA is a stupid and convoluted language but I'm in the
>minority on that one.

I kind of agree with you about Java (although Java programs to tend
to be less convoluted than C or C++), but in that case C# would be
just as stupid and convoluted, being a derivation of Java re-written
to work only with Microsoft resources.

-A