RE: PE of S&P

There are several definitions of earnings floating about.
S&P trackes several of them, including forward (top-down) estimates:
http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf/xls/index/SP500EPSEST.XLS
On an as-reported basis, the S&P P/E is approx. 22.5
Back in 1988, it was 11.7.

Barra tracks a lot of this data:
http://www.barra.com/Research/Fundamentals.aspx
and this app. will let you chart various fundamental values:
http://www.barra.com/Research/fund_charts.asp