Re[2]: looking for disk copy/clone software

Sigstroker,

It isn't like Windows backup shadow copy that will backup with
programs running.  You shut down as many programs as you possibly can.
Things like Tradestation, Internet explorer, word, Norton anything
like that.  It makes a disk copy that is identical to the one you
have.  C: is C: E: is E:  H is H etc.  You can not tell the
difference.  I have two Serial ATA drives now and one of them I used
Casper to move my C: and E: to.  So then I changed my bios to boot to
the Serial ATA drive first and bingo it comes up with my old C: and E:
on the new drive.  Then I used Casper to copy to the second Serial ATA
drive and made an exact copy of the first one.  They are the same size
and model so I didn't know which was which until I put some other junk
on the one I use as a backup.

So if you have a small drive you use casper to copy it to the new
drive.  Then you simply unplug and remove the little drive and plug
the IDE cable into the new big one so Windows has no clue you did
anything.  It boots up to C: just like before only it is a new drive
with all your old stuff exactly like it was but tons of new space.

AND IT IS FREE.

I've got partition magic but you can have this program downloaded,
copy your drive and be running before you figure it out in Partition
Magic.

Best regards,
  Jimmy Snowden
mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxx

Sac> What do you mean by "do have to turn all programs off on the
Sac> computer"?

Sac> Does that mean the cloned drive is not recognized as being C:?

Sac> In a message dated 2/25/2004 5:42:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, jhsnowden@xxxxxxx writes:

>> Sigstroker,
>>
>> Casper.  It is perfect.  When you make the copy you can boot to it and
>> can't tell any difference.  The first time I swapped disks I though I
>> was on the old disk.  I swapped the IDE leads between the two disks
>> and it worked perfectly. You can just use the bios to tell it to boot
>> to the other disk.  You do have to turn all programs off on the
>> computer but that is a small price to pay.
>>
>> www.fssdev.com   for personal use it is free or was.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>  Jimmy Snowden
>> mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxx
>>

>> Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 4:33:09 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> Sac> I'm looking for a piece of software to do a bit-for-bit copy from one disk to another. I don't want "backup" software that compresses using the vendor's proprietary algorithm so that you need
>> Sac> use the software to "restore". I have two things I want to do:
>>
>> Sac> 1) My C drive is filling up. I want to copy it to a larger drive and swap them out.
>>
>> Sac> 2) I want to make periodic copies of my C drive to drives in removable drawers for backup. If the C drive in the pc takes a dump, I want to just pull the most recent backup out of it's drawer
>> Sac> and swap it into the pc.
>>
>> Sac> Obviously neither of the above will work if the copy/clone is compressed with some weird algorithm. I bought Drive Image, but it appears to only make the kind of backup I don't want. I would
>> Sac> assume the software I need would have to run in DOS off a bootable floppy. So far, everything I've looked at seems
>> to run in Windows.

Outgoing mail scanned by Norton