From: Scott Hoffman [mailto:trader2020@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:24 PM
To: omega-list
Subject: Re: Portfolio Construction

I focus a lot of my attention to portfolio construction. My input would
be:

1) Get familiar with the concepts of Modern Portfolio Theory.
2) Use the correlation of market return streams, not raw price data.
3) Get an MVO (Mean-Variance Optimizer) tool and play around with it.
4) Don't assume future correlations unless they make sense, ie.
CL/HO/HU, or US/TY.
5) Don't make any assumptions about future returns from any one market,
ie the worst market in the past may be the best one going forward.

The more uncorrelated (negatively correlated is the best, but hard to
find) market return streams you can combine, the higher the
risk-adjusted return (like Sharpe ratio) of the portfolio will be.

Scott Hoffman
Red Rock Capital Management, Inc.