Re: Performance Report

> The closest I have come to symmetry is a system
> that used somewhat the same but inverted rules
> for long and short but different values for the
> indicator parameters.

I've always written symmetrical systems, with the same rules and
parameters for long and short positions.  I figure I have no idea
which way the market is going to move, so I shouldn't try to
predict it by running a system that favors longs or shorts.

My favorite system runs on intraday ND/NQ.  It's performed very
consistently since the start of trading in the ND in 1996.  Over
that whole period it made 48.8% of its profits on the long side.
It changes a bit as the market changes -- for the 2 years ending
mid-2000 (while the ND tripled in value) it made 68.4% on the
long side, from mid-2000 through 2002 (when the ND dropped 80%)
it made 31.9% on the long side -- but overall it acts pretty
symmetrically.

(And even this robust system has been having a rough time of it
for the last year.  *sigh*)

Maybe I'd do better if I made it "faster" on short positions, but
the simpler model requires fewer parameters (less curve-fitting)
and it's worked pretty well for me.

Gary