Re: Correct Price Scale for stocks and bad tick problems it can cause?

  • To: jbclem <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Correct Price Scale for stocks and bad tick problems it can cause?
  • From: Mike Gossland <mgmail@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:50:19 -0800

>I use TS2000i with DTN IQFeed via Dynastore and I get many more bad ticks
>than others using IQFeed.  I get clumps of bad prices and I asked the list
>about one such problem a month ago, where the security IVAN was plotting all
>prices at 4.00 for hours, and  was actually trading at a range around that
>level.  Gary Fitz suggested that it might be a wrong Global Server setting
>for Price Scale but he didn't trade stocks so couldn't really check.  The
>IVAN problem just happened again yesterday, it was trading at 3.50-3.52 and
>suddenly began plotting every tick as 4.00 (with correct tick volume
>figures).  This continues until I deleted the symbol from the Dynastore
>portfolio and then added it back in.
>
>I checked and all my Price Scales for stocks are set at 1/1000, even though
>most stocks are trading with only two decimal points.  The E-mini is set at
>1/100.  Dynastore has a bad tick filter which I have set but I still get
>back ticks, especially on the E-mini.  Without the tick filter some days I
>had so many bad E-mini ticks that I couldn't use the charts(10-50 bad ticks
>a day).  When I download history data (tick data) through Dynastore and
>IQFeed, sometimes one or two symbols will have an entire day of bad ticks.
>I check with DTN and they even though they don't filter for bad ticks, they
>never show the ones I'm getting, especially not a full day's worth.  The bad
>ticks are all over the scale, from zeros to real high numbers (ie 14555 on a
>$5 stock) to decimal point mistakes (0.30 instead of 3.00).
>
> The default settings in Global Server for AMEX, NYSE, NASDAQ are 1/1000.
>
>I'd like to hear some opinions about Price Scale setting and whether it
>might be causing these problems I'm having.  Has anyone else seem this
>happen?
>
>John

Not sure if these settings relate to your problem, but here are some suggestions that might be useful.

The values in the GS database were set before decimalization so they are no longer correct.
You'll need to set the price scale to 1/100 and min move to 1, both in the exchange settings and for the stocks themselves.

You alter the exchange settings because they are used when you add a new symbol to your portfolio.

But, exchange settings are not applied to stocks that already exist in the portfolio, so you have to select the stocks themselves in the portfolio window then choose Edit Symbols from the popup menu to make these settings.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Mike Gossland

---