Re[2]: TS2000i - Badly Written Program?

On Saturday, September 13, 2003, 6:41:54 AM, Jimmy Snowden wrote:

JS> Most important 1. new workspace.  Long term most effective 2. get
JS> Windows 2000 or XP.  3. Get 512 mb ram.  Ram is cheap now.

I've run it on several OS's also, with little to a lot of memory, and
fast and slow processors. I find the most significant factor is how
much you ask TS2k to do, and when you ask.

For example, let's say you have a workspace, with gigantic amounts of
data, and very complex studies, that takes 3-5 minutes to open (with a
2 Gig processor). As that workspace is opening, you ask TS2k to do
some unrelated tasks. I find the chances of a TS2k error skyrocket
under these conditions. TS2k does NOT like to do multiple things at
once. Even if it does not crash immediately, it will cause TS2k to
become quite unstable and prone to other seemingly unrelated problems.
The solution to this is to wait for EACH operation to complete before
giving it another one.

This does NOT occur with small workspaces that open in seconds. I can
have a dozen or more small, simple workspaces open and TS2k will run
reasonably reliably.

With a dozen gigantic, complex workspaces open, (say 3-5 min each to
open) TS2k is MUCH more likely to have problems. For example, I
regularly have problems shutting down without a crash. But - if you
regularly run with this level of use (12+ workspaces, 45+ minutes to
open them all [2+ Gig CPU]), and don't have problems, please let me
know.

The best advice: don't ask TS2k to do too much - it can't do it well.

ztrader