PW Protected ELA File

How can I recover / open a password protected ela file?

This is a file (mine) that I have been working with off and on over the
past few months that I just tried to open.  Instead of opening, the
PassWord window pops up requesting a p/w. Funny thing is, I don't
remember putting a p/w on it and there's no "lock" icon in the Open File
window indicating that the file is protected.

I'm desperate. There's quite a bit of programming involved that I really
don't want to redo. If any kind soul has successfully dealt with this
problem in the past, please clue me in.

Best,
Bill