anti virus for non-techies

I have been using Microsoft and Pc-Cillin and have (luckily) had no
problems.  And I don't know the first thing about Linux vs. MS vs. etc.
For those of us who are non-tech savvy, wouldn't aggressively regular
updates from Microsoft and our Anti Virus program protect us?  E.g., I have
set both Microsoft Windows and PC-Cillin to look for updates intra-day and
am rigorous about installing the patches, upgrades, etc.
Is that not enough?  I am trying to get a handle on problems type:
-  created by sloppy maintenance and slow upgrade frequency
-  stated because user *dislikes* MS per se
-  real problems
Thank you.