Re: Firewall Types

On Monday, August 18, 2003, 12:30:56 AM, Jim wrote:

J> Would someone be kind enough to explain briefly why a hardware firewall is
J> considered better than a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm?

First, I would like to suggest that you use BOTH. They can be used to
do different things that complement each other.

One reason is that most hardware firewalls will be based on Linux.
Much more secure, particularly when configured as a stand-alone
firewall. Remember, M$ turned to Linux when they had to defend
themselves, because they knew their own software was not secure, even
with the latest patches they suggest everyone use.

There are other reasons, too - computer security can be a bit complex
and OT for this list. There are many good resources on the net for
more info.

ztrader