Re[2]: Beware of Norton Updates . . .

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, 7:29:28 AM, Bob Bolotin wrote:

BB> Is it safer to download the update from the web site?

Yes - this gives you complete control over the update process. If you
run a macro program, this can be automated as well.

BB> Or is it time to find a different anti-virus program? I hate to
BB> give up on Norton. It is has always worked fine for me.

It's OK. If you run an all-M$ machine, and are thus a prime virus
target, it might be worth while to get another one. These are reactive
programs. If you are one of the unfortunate people to get it early on,
you will still get it. [The Windows/Outlook combo is better known as
the VTP ... "Virus Transport Protocol"]

Some AV programs do a more complex scan that can find virus behavior
in a brand new virus and stop it. This can protect you from a new
virus that has not yet been included in a signature file. The downside
is that it takes longer and the computer will be a bit slower. Some of
these catch things Norton can't.

If you don't run M$ virusware, you don't need to worry as much. I do a
virus check about once a week, and don't run a scanner.

So it depends in large part on how you run your computers.

BB> Virus definition updates should cause no harm, but often other
BB> updates are done also, probably software updates.

True. These are when the problems occur. Updating core components can
cause all sorts of problems. Problems include disabling non-Symantic
firewalls, completely preventing bootup (from writing their copy
protection), disabling privacy-protection software, disabling proxies,
breaking net access, and so on.

The latest Symantec versions are more intrusive than ever, and thus
can cause more problems than before. In addition, their technical
support has become much worse. I have stopped installing their
products (except for Ghost) on some of my computers. If you check the
Symantec newsgroups, you'll find many people with problems, and many
good suggestions for alternatives.

Windows updates also break things. It's not just Symantec.

ztrader