Re: email digest format

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at  7:05:37AM -0400, Greg Darke wrote:
> I notice that digests from this list are encoded with
>
> However, if any individual email in the digest contains a series of
> ----------------------------, then certain mailers (eg The Bat!)
> treat this as the end of the digest, not even displaying any other
> messages.

First some technical details of how MIME multipart things work:
The "boundary" is defined in the email header (we'll ignore multipart
emails which define additional boundaries; the principals are the same).
The mail user agent (MUA), like The Bat!, then looks for the pattern:

--boundary

to separate the various parts of the mail.  The pattern:

--boundary--

terminates the multipart email itself (or a subordinate multipart
section in a nested block).  Note that the patterns must be at the
beginning of the line, and exactly as shown.  The SmartList digest
uses a set of dashes as its boundary, which makes reading the thing
easy in a non-MIME-aware MUA.

Obviously, it would not be good if the patterns --boundary or
--boundary-- appeared at the beginning of a line within a digest
message.  To make sure this never happens, one of the first things
the digester does is change any such pattern to "- boundary", etc.
So it's impossible to find the pattern --boundary anywhere in the
email body except as a message separator.

and On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at  9:29:36PM +1000, jon wrote:
> Hello omega,

Remember, this list is not part of Omega Research or TradeStation
Technologies as they now call themselves.  It's just a bunch of
traders trying to help each other out.

> every now and again, and for each of the last 2 or 3 digests,
> TheBat has been truncating the majority of the enclosed emails.
>
> ...Is there someting different about the way the digests are coming
> through,

No, nothing has changed in the digest.

> or could it be something to do with TheBat ?

Since two people have reported the same problem, it does seem
possible that there's some problem in The Bat!.  A quick glance at
the last few digests shows that they do have some lines with long
series of dashes, though, of course, not the precise length to
represent a --boundary or --boundary-- pattern.  I'd be very
surprised if the developers of The Bat! made such an obvious mistake
as not matching the required separator pattern, but what do I know.

Since the problem has been noted by at least two sources, maybe
you guys should contact the tech people at The Bat! and ask them.

Let us know what they say.

Jim