Re: Tradestation or Weathlab ?

Bob Fulks answered:

>>Now the kicker:  The TS "update every tick" feature works ONLY with
>>indicators.  There is no way to update every tick for signals.
>
>Why would you want a signal to update on every tick? The concept is to enter
>a stop or limit order at the end of a bar interval and that order is active
>as the market changes.
>
>But you can always increase the time resolution to whatever you like. If you
>need 1-tick resolution for some reason, you can set the bar resolution to
>1-tick and your system will update every tick.

The problem here is, one can only get the resolution down to 1
minute.  In this thing I'm coding for someone, he needs indicators
calculated from periodic bars (not ticks).  Any signal that
generates a limit order, and the subsequent execution of that order,
must be able to occur inside the same bar.

This is how he trades manually, and I'm trying to automate it for
him.  He watches bars form, his indicators update every tick, and
when he sees a signal based on his indicators WHILE THE BAR IS
FORMING, he clicks his mouse to place an order, and often the order
is filled before the bar finishes.

Decent trade-simulation software SHOULD let me perform the same
thing in software, without jumping through a lot of hoops.  That's
why I suggested that if indicators can be updated every tick, then
so should signals.

Neither WealthLab nor Tradestation can do this.

Now of course I can jump though hoops; use a tick chart and maintain
the bars internally in an array.  But he wants to see the bar chart,
not the tick chart, and see the signals appear on the bar chart.
TS won't let you mix a tick chart and a bar chart in the same
workspace.

Someone else made the suggestion of generating the trades on a tick
chart, and then sending the orders as market orders to a bar chart
using PushPop.  This might work.

-Alex