Re: Tradestation or Weathlab ?

From: "Alex Matulich" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> That's my point.  I want the strategy to be updated every tick.  If
> I'm using 10-minute bars, then if I want a MOC order, my strategy
> could wait until approximately 1 minute before close to send its
> market order.

Got it. With MOC orders this will work indeed. With market orders,
if you wait untill 1 minute in advance (if that would be programable)
it would also be a nice idea indeed. Would get you in the market just
in time for the market to close.

> >That's what i use the updating indicators for. To anticipate in the
> >comming trade. All i need to do is press the button the moment
> >i see the signal.
>
> Me, I'd rather not sit in front of the computer staring at a chart.

:-)

Point take.

> I haven't seen a single instance (looking at raw tick data) where
> any of my systems would get me in and out all the time if signals
> were updated every tick.  I wrote them with that in mind, then was
> disappointed to learn that TS doesn't work that way.  There's no
> whipsawing because the protective stop placed after entry is well
> outside the range of the current bar, so there's nothing that would
> get me out once I get in, except for a dramatic adverse move.

Actualy, it's more like "will the signal come or not". I did not program
my systems the way you do so in the 15 minute time span i use in
1 out of 10 signals the signal is indicive up till the end of the bar.
Apparently my system is more "nervouse" than yours.

> >Then it might be that it would get you in and out a trade 20 times
> >an hour just because your indicators or strategy is exactly at a turning
> >point.
>
> Hmm.... I don't know what you have in mind that would do this.  What
> I write would'nt behave that way.

I use crossings of a zero level where it happens a lot that during a 15
minute
time span the difference between entering or not to enter is only 1 point.
Of a symbol is exactly at that point, then it's pritty unsure if i need to
place
an order or not.

So for me updating every tick signals would not work. Happens 1 out of 10
times that the indicator is exactly at that turning point wich makes that
only at the end of the bar i KNOW that i need to enter or not.

greetings