Re: Off Topic - Firewalls/XP

>My brother-in-law just got hooked up with a high speed internet connection.
>He's running Windows XP and believes that he doesn't need a firewall as XP
>has one built in.
>
>Is he right?

You think Microsoft will include a firewall that blocks port 137
(and others) which is mandatory for a firewall, but effectively disables
Microsoft's treasured "messenger" feature (hated by many, loved by few)?

If he insists on using a software firewall, there are plenty of free
ones that give you more control over inbound AND outbound.  My favorite
is TinyFirewall.  ZoneAlarm works well too.

Hardware firewall/router is best (although it only blocks inbound
traffic).

-A