RE: VectorVest

I use VectorVest and have evaluated TC2000.

VectorVest has 'upgraded' from 5.0 to 6.0 and the old 'clunky' feel is gone.
What makes it unique is its use of 3 proprietary indicators Relative Value,
Relative Timing, and Relative Safety.  RV, RT, and RS.  These are combined
into one RMS average 'vector' and hence the name 'VECTOR vest'.  Originally
I set up some screens (quite sucessful) using the indicators, but have since
realized that basing a system on a single vendor, proprietary anything is a
cul-du-sac.  Case in point - I used to download VV data to a spreadsheet for
further manipulation (it is poor manipulating watchlists); despite the fact
I'm paying mucho bucks to get their proprietary data, the new 6.0 prevents
you from downloading the only thing about VV that is truly unique - their
RT, RV, RS, VST indicators.  Soooo, I ran a trial of TC2000 and attended one
of their free seminars.  My trading 'buddy' uses it.

VV does have an advantage of having a portfolio, backtesting feature that is
very useful for testing screen strategies.  But, as I noted, it is very poor
at maintaining watchlists (IE you can't move blocks of stocks from one list
to another within VV - you have to export, sort, and reimport).

While TC2000 doesn't support backtesting portfolio (except in a very
primative, useless fashion), it does handle watchlists very well and
incorporate powerful note appending features.

VV is end of day only (8:00PM Eastern M-T and midnite on friday).  TC2000
can update during the day (about 20 minute delayed data).  mid day updates
can be very useful if you are applying screens to make a holdum foldum
decision at the end of the day.

TC2000 is half the price, BUT only one computer.  VV can be run on two (they
say), but I think multiple computers.  Since most of us have a hot and a
backup or travel laptop, this implies 2 copies of TC2000 and erases the cost
savings - you might check with TC2000 on this and they might enable a second
machine.

I agree with Barry Silberman's comments about the touted VV market
indicator.  Its no good for shorter term trading - it may be as advertised
for long term major trends - anyway I ignore it.

All in all I'm going to switch from VV to TC2000 despite the fact I will
have to re-do my whole screening system. VV's decision to 'stiff' me from
using the data I've paid them for is the straw that broke this camel's back.

BTW:  If all you want to do is screen - MultexInvest is good and free for
certain screens.  WallStreetCity ProScreen at $ 10/mo is also good for
different criteria.

daver