Re: Security Alert -- spammers using trojans

Mark Jurik wrote:
>"Pressed by increasingly effective anti-spam efforts, senders of unsolicited
>commercial e-mail are resorting to outright criminality in their efforts to
>conceal the source of their ill-sent missives, using Trojan horses to turn
>the computers of innocent netizens into secret spam zombies."
>
>http://www.securityfocus.com/news/4217
>
>Anyone know which anti-trojan software can prevent this?

The best defense is vigilance, beginning with avoiding using
Microsoft software for email.  That's probably not what you wanted
to hear though.

I myself use Windows on my desktop and laptop, but I have absolutely
no email software on it.  I get my email through a unix server to a
unix account, and I do not open any attachment that is executable.
I use procmail on my unix account to filter my mail and I reject
as spam anything that arrives in pure HTML, so that when I use a
webmail viewer I get no surprises.

I also get no surprised because I use Proxomitron to filter all my
web activity, and it does an excellent job preventing malicious
cookies and javascript from being executed.  I also run spyware
detection software every month (never found anything yet except a
cookie or two).

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com