Re: Security Alert -- spammers using trojans

Hello Mark,

Three things come to mind:

1) Don't use Outlook as your email client

2) Spybot search and destroy:
http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download  to get rid
of the crap that might already be on your machine.

3) Kerio Personal Firewall: http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html to
keep the crap from getting on your machine

We all know about Outlook.  Spybot has a conveinient update feature to
update the trojan database.  The new version of Spybot has an immunity
feature.

The nice thing about Kerio, is that it also pays attention to any
outgoing packets from your computer.  Many firewalls only pay attention
to incoming packets or only protect you from DoS attacks.  Kerio is free
and adaptable.  You can make your own rules and it has a learning
tool:  Once it detects an incoming/outgoing packet it alerts you.  You
can accept it, deny it, or make a rule to accept it or deny it so it
won't bother you when the same thing happens again.

At any rate, we all have to get smarter about our own network traffic.
Kerio gives you the chance to at least be aware of what is happening.