Re[2]: TS2k eating CPU

Hello trader,

tsn> ----- Original Message -----
tsn> From: "Frank Fleisher" <r5_6fpen8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> The only thing you can do, short of re-writing TS2k's insulting cpu-hosing
tsn> code,
>> is to get yourself a dual processor system.  Luckily, for some
>> reason, TS2k is unable to hog more than 50% of each processor,
>> allowing you to access/run other programs on your Windows 2000 system.

tsn> My guess would be that the reason is that TS2k kan only use 1 processor
tsn> so it is hosing up just 1 of the 2 cpu's. The other one will be free so that
tsn> gives 50% of "each processor".

Both cases are correct.  I have 2-processor cpu's.  If you look at
both CPU Usage history charts in the task manager and load an ample
size workspace, you will see different cases: 50/50%, 1/99%, 30/70%,
etc.

tsn> Personaly i would not go for a double cpu system. Just buy a second pc
tsn> and run everything else on that pc and use the TS pc only for TS. Dont
tsn> want to do optimizing on your pc running your trading systems and don't
tsn> want to do it on the pc you work on ? Buy a third pc. You only need
tsn> the box and you can buy a monitor and mouse switch. My guess would
tsn> be they go as low as $500 wich is not much for saving you a lot of pain.

This should be done anyway.  Yet there are still people who have
everything on one PC with no firewall.

>> Someone should do a task manager comparison between TS2000,TS6-7 on
>> their single-processor system.  If the guys at TRAD still haven't yet
>> resolved this basic programming etiquette, then they're all still a bunch
tsn> of boneheads.

tsn> I can not remember ever having seen a windows program that does not
tsn> occasionaly use up 100% cpu. Specialy a program like TS wich can
tsn> be very processor intensive since it wants to do a lot of calculation and

You're right.  Many programs will spike it to 100% but for a split second.
Even the task manager does this when you load it.  But TS will keep
the processor near 100% for as long as EL needs to do what it needs to
do, which can be too long.

tsn> disk writes etc. If TS would not use 100% when it needs to, it would run
tsn> slower.

Omega must have used this logic when they released ts2k, when
computers were a lot slower and when we were all cursed
with Windows 98/NT, before win2000 came out to save the day.  In the
end, it gave them more headaches because 98/NT did not handle this
sort of thing very well.

-F