From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 2:39 PM
Subject: TS2k eating CPU

I have a dedicated system to run TS2k on my realtime data feed.
It's not all that fast, but I don't care; it's fast enough to run
the charts & systems.

I have another system that I use for everything else:  email, web
browsers, spreadsheets, editors -- and my "research" TS2k.  This
is where I do my system testing & development.

I'm running Win2k Pro.  Apparently it's not great at allocating
CPU resources.  If I kick off a long optimization in TS, other
applications can become slow or totally unavailable.  Sometimes
the whole system will come grinding to a halt, so that I can't
even click on the Start button or switch to other processes,
while TS merrily cranks away.  Once the optimization finishes,
everything wakes up.

The ts32.exe process is the one eating up all the CPU.  I've
tried lowering the priority on that process, which helps, but it
can still get locked up.  This morning, after lowering ts32.exe's
priority, everything locked up again.  Fortunately I already had
the Task Manager running, so I set ts32's priority to "Low" (the
lowest setting) and the priority on explorer.exe, IEXPLORE.EXE,
and a few others to "High."  It was still locked up until I gave
up and went to lunch; by the time I came back it had loosened up
and I was able to run other apps.

This seems pretty klunky.  You would think Win2k could do a
better job of scheduling processes.  Has anyone come up with a
good solution for it?

(This is the main reason I would consider getting a dual-CPU
system, BTW -- let TS eat one CPU, and leave the other one for
me!)

Gary