Re: Bouncing Tick Phenom

Blitz wrote:
> TS (4.0 and maybe 2000i?) assumes (and you know what
> that means) that the
> next bar always opens in  favor of the system being
> tested...

The way you stated this is not my understanding. For
TS to assume something about the open of the next bar
would be to deal with what happens between bars. What
happens between bars is not the problem.

TS makes assumptions about what happens "inside the
bars". It has to do this on an EOD chart because it
has no tick data to reference to follow the actual
path the market followed intraday.

If the open of a bar is closer to the low than to the
high (ie. in the bottom 50% of the bars range), TS
assumes the market traded from the open then to the
low, then the high & then the close. Note, that the
close is not a consideration in the assumption being
made, only the position of the open relative to the
bar's range.

the wider the distance between the open and close, the
more realistic the assumption gets. It's when you
start looking at Doji type bars (close and open close
together) that things get funky.

Cheers,

Lance

P.S. At this point, Iv'e learned to live with being
one of Omega's red headed stepchildren (an owner of
2000i) so i'm not griping here, just recalling facts
for the record.

At the time of 2000i's release, one of it's features
that was heavily touted was it's "System Testing To
The Tick Level" ability from an EOD chart. This
ability would have negated the need for Bouncing
Ticks. I was into volatility breakout type systems at
the time, so this feature was one of the main reasons
I decided to upgrade from SuperCharts. Like alot of
other things about 2000i, "System Testing To The Tick
Level" didn't quite pan out.