Re: taxes --- Offshore havens, etc.

You CAN live quite nicely and walk away in such a manner that the
IRS cannot get you.  Two options:

(1) if you are a US citizen, renounce it --this has no impact on
your children or spouse although you will not be able to vote.
Once you stayed away from the US for 18 months plus one
consecutive day, you can come and go as you please.  If you
return prematurely, the IRS will consider your move a tax
avoidance scheme and force you to pay up.

(2) if you are not a US citizen, walk away and declare residency
in a tax haven.  The IRS cannot touch you.  You can also walk
away with your IRA money and they cannot touch you.  Being a
cautious sort, I refrained from obtaining US citizenship 20 years
ago.

The 'Patriot' Act does not apply to citizens of other countries.

Leslie