Re[2]: thought

Mike,

Boy  this  is  a  very subjective subject.  I have generated
systems that generate over 80% profitable, but I don't trade
them,  as  the average trade size is too small and the trade
count  too  high for my liking.  If you like scapling and if
you can autotrade them without slippage, maybe this is to your
liking?   These  kind  of  system  can  also generate Sharpe
ratios greater than 8.0.

Typically,  I  look  for  3 to 4 sharpe ratio levels given that that
the system  generates  "sufficient'  number  of trades/period to
insure  that the Sharpe ratio is not a fluke.  These systems
typical  generate  45%  to  60% winners with a Profit Factor
greater   than  2.5.  I become suspicious on the validity on
of  a  system test  that  generates Profit Factors greater than 4
unless it's backtested with tremendous amount of data.

I do  not concentrate on the percent winners.  I let Sharpe
drive   the   strategy   development.   About  the only time
Sharpe  ratio will fool you is when there is an unsufficient
number  of  trades in the test per period and per the entire
data test set.  You learn be suspicious of high Sharpes too.

Here are some observations:

a) The  more  the  system trades, the smaller   the  avg  trade,
the  higher Sharpe ratio and the higher the percent profitable.
So if this  is true, then I look for a compromise,  on these
values. To do this,   I  export backtest results and conduct
a 3D study to insure that I pick a good set of variables and
keep me from picking an isolated fluke result set.

b) The simpler the system, the higher the  chances that you have
not curve fitted.

c) The  more data I test with the better I feel about the
validity of the system.

d) The   smaller   the   avg   trade   size  and
typically the higher number of trades,  the more
sensitive   you   need   to be on the slippage and whether your
simulation uses stop, limits or mkt orders.

e) Be suspicious on your findings if Sharpes are greater than 4
or the ProfitFactor is greater than 4 or the percent profitable is
greater then 65%.

f)  I  don't  have  the  exact  ratios but, be leery of too few
trades  per  a period of time.  The changes of a random fit
are  just  too  high.  For  example a system that trades 100
times  over  the course of 1 year is simple too risky for me
to  depend  on  any  of  the  result  numbers.  This kind of
result  needs  to  be verified across many years of intraday
data.

Regards,
Ernie
ebonugli@xxxxxxxx