FW: BASIC LONG TERM INFORMATION

Hi Frank,

I agree that 10 breakouts would be so limited in the assessment of a system,
regardless of the world events, that is would be useless. One of my research
lines led me to a conclusion that different markets have their own set of
patterns. No system I've found to date will work on all markets. Possibly
there is one, but I've not seen or heard of it. However, it is a good
validation process to see if the system works in other markets but only on a
limited basis. By the way I do trade Euro, Swiss Franc and Yen. The system
works in those markets as well, which triples the number of trades in the
data base (approximately 450 to 500 trades).

Anyhow I guess it comes down to certain systems work in certain markets for
a finite length of time and one has to have some stop loss on the system
when it ceases to function.  Another possible addition to try to handle the
uncertainty would be to trade a portfolio of systems, each having multiple
issues for the separate systems and preferably all non-correlated.

Regards,
Michael

******--------***********---------********

Michael,

Sunday, February 23, 2003, 7:59:33 AM, you wrote:

MM> Hi Frank,

MM> I like your opinion. A small data set has always been a problem with
swing
MM> systems that may average 20-30 days in the trade. So you're right,
that's
MM> why I brought up the point of having 3,000 trades. The problem with that
is,
MM> only the Dow goes back to 1870 or so and I'm not trading that. Almost
any
MM> other market is going to have a maximum of 30 to 60 years of data that's
MM> usable (I know some older commodity charts but they only have the close,
as
MM> does the Dow once you go back past about 1924). Any idea how to get
around
MM> that?

It depends on what these systems are looking for.  Suppose one looks
for a very specific breakout pattern.  Perhaps you can look at the
Dow for this pattern, even though you are not trading it.  People will
say this is crazy, but I think it's crazier basing a system's validity on 10
breakouts that happened in the past 30 years in the market you are
trading in.  You need more data to validate this pattern, imo.

Breakout patterns, and trends, can be treated as generic, and
shouldn't be limited to the market you trade in.  Look for enough
uncorrelated markets, add up all of the specific
breakouts you can find and you may get a more respectable number that
can reveal whether or not these patterns have any validity.
"Uncorrelated" markets is important because breakouts and trends are
notorious
for looking similar everywhere at the same time.  I would treat that
as one event. You want to see that this specific breakout pattern is a
consistent phenomena that takes place when any event happens that
attracts people to any market.

However, there may be system ideas that shouldn't be tested in such a
"horizontal" manner because they are non-generic and very specific to the
nature of the
market you are trading in.  Perhaps, for example, cyclical patterns,
or repetitive associations between your market and another.

Another approach is to look at systems that trade more frequently.
But if you have confidence in the past 10 breakouts in 30 years
because of their association to the same type of world events, then you are
attempting to validate your systems with speculation.

-F

MM> Regards,
MM> Michael

MM> ****************************
MM> Michael,

MM> 175 trades in 31 years does not give me a lot of confidence.  I would
MM> then focus on the shape of the equity curve, which is essential.
MM> That's why the Sharpe Ratio is an important effort, imo.

MM> A sloppy equity curve constructed from a small number of datapoints is
MM> a random event, in my opinion, whether it represents 5 months of 5
MM> minute data or 31 years of daily data. Regardless, of your system
MM> ideas, the types of market personalities you're
MM> trading, or the perfect alignment of the planets on a Tuesday, you
MM> need a "tight" equity curve filled with several data points (trades)
that
MM> are
MM> based on realistic trades and trading (i.e. reasonable liquidity,
MM> slippage, etc.), because it will tell you sooner, rather than later,
MM> that the non-random profitable phenomena you extracted from the market
MM> "ether" is now meandering into no man's land, which is your cue to take
MM> your money and run.

MM> Conversely, if your equity curve bounces all over the place toward the
MM> current net profit of $248,391, after 176 trades in 31 years, you
MM> won't know that the ship sunk before you're underwater.

MM> Any cleaver speculation or market theory cannot save a lousy equity
MM> curve.

MM> Saturday, February 22, 2003, 7:58:53 AM, you wrote:

MM>> Hi Frank,

MM>> Good question.  All of the systems were break out or trend following
MM> swing
MM>> systems (no day trades). We went through 5  systems like Aberration and
MM>> Dollar Trader. A good example would have been a single contract on
MM> Dollar
MM>> Trader with the following quantity of trades.
MM>> 1972-1980 = 45 (gain $97,187 with one bad year of negative $1500)
MM>> 1980-1990 = 73 (gain $140,137 with on bad year of negative  $12,427)-
MM> that's
MM>> a hell of a nice 18 year run.
MM>> 1996-present = 58 (11,067 with four bad years - two back to back
MM> $15,927)

MM>> Obviously there are a lot of indicators missing like sharp ratio, max
DD