RE: Re: FW: BASIC LONG TERM INFORMATION

>> While stdev is rising then it is logical to assume that the trend is
getting stronger.
It is my opinion that this assumption is valid only for a subset of the of
the bars following the beginning of the rise. Statistically speaking, the
standard deviation increases with depth of the volatility. In a
low-volatility long and strong trend, it is possible for the standard
deviation to rise, fall, and even stay constant - it all depends on your
window and the length of the moving average over which you are taking the
std dev.

This does not mean that a change in std dev is insignificant, or is not
useful in the context that you propose. I have used it in similar situations
before. I would just like to clarify where the theory can be strengthened to
an ultimately better implementation.

Ken Greenwood