Re: Dual processors

> I used to sell Compaq C-level units to fortune 500
> companies. In fact I worked on site at Tandem, right
> when they were bought by Compaq. I can say that these
> units are well built. Don't think I realized TS200i
> could make use of the DUAL Procs., now I'm jealous.

Anything that uses multiple processes can make SOME use of dual
CPUs.  At a minimum, the Global Server and the Charting apps are
separate processes.  There are others, but I don't think they use
up much CPU.

My opinion:  if you have a system dedicated to TS, dual procs are
a waste of money and a possible reliability issue.  (Not all
software works reliably on multiple CPUs.  Of course we all know
TRAD only releases ultra-reliable software.)  GS and Charting
don't need their own CPUs.  For that matter they don't need
2.8GHz unless you're running some enormous huge collection of
workspaces.  I collect thousands of symbols, with several dozen
active charts, most of which have systems & several indicators on
them, quite comfortably on an old 450MHz P3.  But that's ALL I
run on it, and I think that's the best way to run TS realtime.

On the other hand if you do a lot of system optimization, and
want to use the system for other things (email, browsing, running
spreadsheets, whatever), then dual CPUs can do you a lot of good.
TS can chew up 100% of one CPU doing its opto grinding, and you
still have a free CPU for your other work.  It could make a mondo
research box a lot more responsive and pleasant to use.

Gary