RE: IB TWS problem with stops

Except you have the hassle/delay of having to always enter two
separate prices, one for the stop and one for the limit at a far
enough away price to guarantee a fill (to simulate a stop order). And
you always have to remember to do it this way.  Maybe this isn't a
big deal to some folk but it's an inconvenience I can do without.

But the other issue is: Can you QUICKLY "modify" a stop-limit order
with two different prices (i.e. change the stop price frequently
while keeping the same limit price ....for use as a trailing stop)?
With stop-limit orders, you normally have to straight cancel them and
place a new one.  Is that not true also of IB?  This causes delays
compared to modifying a plain stop order.  When you're trailing your
stop-loss tight behind the market to lock in profits you may need to
quickly modify the stop price.  Having to cancel the order and place
a new one every time is a delay which can cost you money (e.g. the
market stops you out before you've had time to do this). Therefore,
if you use stop-limits instead of stops with IB, maybe you are
solving one problem (not relying on IB servers) only to create
another (inability to use a fast trailing stop)?

For an extra buck commish you can have plain stops rest on Globex
(which can be modified very quickly) and have decent phone support
when you need it. You pays your money you takes your choice.

S.