Re[2]: Win2000Pro to WinXp Pro Upgrade

The problem is that as you keep up to date by downloading the security
patches, SP 3, etc. Windows 2000 starts to connect to the mother
ship as well.  I don't quite understand the purpose of this: whether
it protects me from vulnerabilities, protects Microsoft from software
piracy, whether it has a more sinister "Big Brother" purpose, or all
of the above.

I personally believe that it's no one's business to know when I happen to turn
on my computer.  It doesn't really matter if someone knows, but it's
still none of their business.  It does matter, however, when the
operating system slowly evolves into one giant Trojan Horse, so that someone
will know not only when I turn on my computer, but what I do with it.

All I know is that every time I download a new update/patch from the
Microsoft site for Windows 2000, my firewall gets even more pissed off
once Windows loads up.  I'm waiting for the day to come when I won't
be able to load Windows unless I turn off the firewall.

The whole issue is quite hopeless, now that we entering yet another age
when there is confusion between harmless individual privacy and threats to
national security.

I really don't know which is better: not upgrade and be vulnerable to
hackers, or upgrade to "safe" but more nosy operating systems.