Re: Global Server Fix

Ron,

Everytime your computer crashes or you lose power TS2ki's Global
Server will have to reindex when it is restarted.  If it is not shut
down properly the data is corrupted or at least it thinks it is.  It
looks like it is hanging while it is loading but it is not it is
reindexing.  Reindexing will take a long time and is directly
dependent on the size of your data and the speed of your machine.
Mine takes hours.

You will lose data.  There is no way around it.  What I do to reduce
the loss of data and get running again very fast is the following.

Each night before or after nightly maintenance I use Macro Scheduler
to turn off charting and then turn off the Global Server.  Then I have
Macro Scheduler do a copy of my data from the PDS folder to a folder
called PDS copy.  Both are in the same folder so they are on the same
drive.  Then I have Macro Scheduler load the GS and charting.

I use a UPS so I don't lose power and crash but sometimes the
GS will just quit and there is no way to recover.  Instead of
rebooting and waiting for the reindex I shut down the processes listed
near the end of this email.  Then I simply rename the PDS folder
PDS corrupt and rename PDS copy to PDS.  Then restart the GS.  So then
you have data right away but you have a gap from the time the
copy was made until the GS restarted.  On the weekend or during non market
hours you can export the current days data then go back and rename the folders
and let the GS reindex the corrupt data.  Then you can import the data you
exported.  Sometimes the import doesn't work well if you have a lot of symbols
and a lot of data but this is the least loss way I have found.  Just
import the most important or a few at a time each day.

The reason I don't copy the PDS folder to a different drive is that it
takes 30 minutes to copy mine back.

I also do a standard backup each night to a different drive using
Windows XP shadow copy.  With Shadow Copy you don't have to turn off
any programs to do the backup.

Using the above plan I still have some problems but it will get you up
and running in about 3 minute or less unless you reboot.  I usually
save the reboot until after the market closes.  Skipping the reboot
may not be possible if you are not using Windows 2000 or XP.

Here are the processes I end.  Ortc.exe, ORQuote, ts32.exe & ortrade.exe
These are parts of charting and they need to be closed before you close
the GS or at least it makes closing the GS work better and they need to
be off when you restart charting.  Now if you reboot windows will
close them.

I also do not allow charting to automatically start the GS.  Start the
GS by itself then start charting.  This way if the GS crashes charting
doesn't try to start it again.

Jimmy Snowden