RE: quiet cpu fan

Most motherboards come with a monitor program that will measure the various
temps, fan speeds, and voltages. You can set warning limits to be alerted
when values fall out of spec, and you can have the program log the values to
a file every few minutes so you can see how the system behaves during the
day, under load, etc. If your vendor doesn't supply one, I recommend MBM 5:
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
It takes a little experimentation to set up, but works on most any new
processor/montherboard, and lots of old ones, as long as they wire up the
sensors.