Re: Subject: quiet cpu fan

> Subject: quiet cpu fan
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:59:06 -0500
> From: "Schedlbauer, Joseph E." <JoeS@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "Omega email list (E-mail)" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm generally happy with my new pc, except the ThermalTake Volcano 6 cpu fan
> is way too loud.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet cpu fan for
> an AMD Athlon XP2100+ processor?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Joe

http://www.quietpcusa.com/

http://www.siliconacoustics.com/

TigerDirect.com  also sells some quiet stuff now.

I think the trick is to use larger fans than those normally provided
(usually 60mm).  Larger fans are quieter, can spin slower and still
move more air.  I have a dual-cpu system with 80mm fans over the
CPUs and it is much quieter than with the stock fans.   However,
these are P3's. I am not sure how to graft a larger fan onto a P4.

donc