Re: AW: Roll over methods

Volker:

Sometimes our intuitions fool us.  I understand your doubts, but,
here, intuitions tells us one thing, while methodology arguments
tell us the opposite.  Once you think through your methodology,
you may note that it IS legitimate for results to change whenever
we change the underlying data.  In fact, the results SHOULD
change.

The classic explanation for change in results is given by Pierre
DUHEM in 1905 "La Theorie Physique, Son Object et Sa Structure".
(The English translation is "The Aim and Structure of Physical
Theory", New York, Athenium, 1962.  There are also a prior
translation from 1954, published by University of Chicago if my
memory serves me well.)

The most famous of modern arguments dealing with this issue is
given by Imre LAKATOS, in "Criticism and the Growth of
Knowledge", Cambridge Univ. Press; 1970 (with several reprints).
See the essay by LAKATOS 'Falsification and Methodology of
Scientific Research Programmes'.  The essay is brilliant!

Back to rolling data:
Roll by calendar data, Roll by Open Interest, Roll by Volume are
roll TRIGGERS.
A trigger generates an EVENT to do something.

Roll by Ratio Adjusted is NOT an event, it is an algorithm.
Other algorithms are also possible including, Gann, Perpetual, no
gap adjustment, etc.

Additionally, you can roll forward, or backwards, again, by date
Trigger, OI, Trigger, with Point Adjustment, Ratio, adjustment,
Perpetual, etc.

Bottom line: about 100 different kinds of continuous contracts
can be built.  Each one is valid, but some are more useful for
certain styles of trading than others.  For the style of trading
that I do, point based back adjusted roll, triggered by Open
Interest is conceptually suitable.  For my trading, Ratio
Adjusted algorithm would work about as well, but I know of only 2
vendors who support Ratio Adjusting Algorithms.  Therefore, to
have more vendors support my trading style, I adjust on a point
basis.

Do you know any vendors that support Ratio Adjusting (other than
Pinnacle and CSI)?
If so, kindly post.
Thanks,

Leslie