Re: Roll over methods

Here is the Spread Utility.  (ELS enclosed.)

I check the data when setting up a new machine, switching data
vendors, after installing a new version of the downloading /
contract building software, when changing rolling methods, etc.

Differences in data can be huge depending on rolling method.
For a while, I rolled on Open Interest, 1st trigger, but CSI had
problems with Open Interest.  I switched to rolling by fixed
date, but that threw off my system and generated losses.   Since
CSI fixed their bugs, I retested everything and back to rolling
on Open Interest.

If you roll on fixed calendar dates, you might want to use the
dates the Pinnacle has posted on their web site.  Their choices
correspond very very closely to when Open Interest rolls would
take place.  Good choice.

You can also roll on Volume, but need to use at least three
consecutive triggers because volume is less stable than OI.

Last but not least, here is beginning and end of a comparison
between two Five Year Note contracts, both rolled on the same
machine, both rolled using CSI Unfair Advantage 2.5.4 but one
rolled using fixed date, the other rolled using OI.  Note the
difference.

Keep in mind, both roll methods are valid.  You just need to pick
one and stay with it.

Beginning of SAMPLE:
File 1	FV20@xxxxxxx	File 2	FV21340B.TXT
Date	Data 1	Data 2	Point Diff	$ Diff

900102	70.7969	71.1406	-0.34375	-343.75
900103	70.6094	70.9531	-0.34375	-343.75
900104	70.6406	70.9844	-0.34375	-343.75
900105	70.625	70.9688	-0.34375	-343.75
900108	70.5781	70.9219	-0.34375	-343.75

End of SAMPLE output:
1021224	112.547	112.547	0	0	___OK___
1021226	112.656	112.656	0	0	___OK___
1021227	113.203	113.203	0	0	___OK___
1021230	113.406	113.406	0	0	___OK___
1021231	113.25	113.25	0	0	___OK___

Start Date 900101 End Date 1030101
The spread changed 64 times during the study.
Maximum bar to bar change in spead occurred on 990226 valued at
109.375 dollars.		Data 1 was not equal to Data 2 for 2929 of 3268
bars -- namely 89.6 % of bars.
Cheers, Leslie

--
Regards,
Leslie Walko
 "Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who
think"
	Horace Walpole, 4th earl of Orford, in a letter dated about 1770
SPREADUTILITY.ELS