Re: Re[2]: A New PC Recommendation

In a message dated 1/20/03 9:00:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> when you add up what you really need in a powerful pc configured by
>  dell, it's amazing how the cheap price explodes to craziness.

If you need powerful it's a different story. If all you need is cheap, it's
hard to beat a Dell.

>  so - i would suggest making a few very cheap powerful "simple"
>  computers and network them.  example.

That's nice if you have the space and the isp bandwidth. Some of us don't.

>  you can buy the following mother board and cpu combination for 100.00
>  AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53Ghz includes Heatsink & Fan Complete Combo Kit
>
>  a good case - half a gig ram - fast video - 10/100 nic - 80 gig drive
>  to total up well under 400.00 and it will run the pants off a dell of
>  comparable price that is.

You forgot Windows, and it's now up to the price of the 2.4 ghz Dell I
mentioned, that comes assembled, burned in, and has a warranty.

>  yes floppy - cd rom and other non essentials are replaced by singular
>  usb external pugins - whey buy flops and cd drives for all the
>  computers, when you only use those items occasionally.

Except you need a boot device in case the crap hits the fan. USB only works
under Windows. Good grief, a floppy is only fifteen bucks. Get that at least.
Oops, you can't load Windows without a cd drive, so spend the 25 bucks for
that too.