FRACTALS - Relevancy to Technical Analysis?

I'm wondering if someone smart about *fractals* and their use in
technical analysis would mind providing a quick paragraph explanation to
the list??

...For example, what exactly is a "fractally-derived moving average"?
 I've read fractals can be used as an alternative to using a dominant
cycle length in a Moving Average.  Somewhere else, I read it provides a
good alternative to ADX.  I can understand if a cycle length function
returns "22",  it's saying that the dominant cycle length is 22- bars
long.  But if a fractal function returns "1.4" --I don't know what to
make of that.

Maybe because I don't know how a fractal 'function' in EasyLanguage is
calculated, I can't quite get the connection between snowflakes (as an
example of infinitely duplicating patterns recurring on ever-smaller (or
bigger) scales -- and trading a 5-minute bar chart!

Can someone help?
THANKS!
Ian