Re: Monitors

The monitor is the most important human interface a PC has, it becomes more
critical the more hours per day you spend with it, not a good place to
scrimp. There are a few things I look for, like I wont get another one (for
here) without an anti-glare surface.

The specs are all interactive so it's hard to say which one is better from
the numbers. If you have a store like CompUSA those are good because they
display dozens of monitors side by side all running the same image for easy
comparison.  When I get in front of an array of monitors, everyone of them
that I think looks right is a Trinitron.  I work mostly with text so most
important to me is perfect sharpness, I guess to a gamer or photoshoper,
gorgeous color would be more important, which I think is the Trinitron's
weak point.

Some monitor specs are critical; Refresh Rate.  I saw on a university's
monitor spec they will not accept less than 75Hz and 80 is preferred,
personally I want 85. The problem is beyond visible flicker, few can see
flicker on a refresh faster than 72 Hertz, but the human nervous system
responds badly to borderline rates. A monitor's refresh spec is different
for each screen resolution, on a 17 or 19" I usually run 1024x768, so
that's the line in the spec I insist on > 85Hz.

What refresh rate is available on your system is an interaction of your
monitor, # of colors, screen rez, and video card.  Windows default is a
conservative mode to work with most anything and needs optimized.  Since
you've noticed eye fatigue the mode needs checked  This appears straight
forward on how to do that;
http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,16740,pg,2,00.asp

Personally, if money was no object I would have a couple TFT flat
panels.  However I have a refurb 21" Trinitron ($188), and like it a lot.
Mike