Re[2]: Profit Taking --- Round 2 --- Other Alternatives

A stop-limit order is one order, not two (don't let the fact that it has
two prices confuse you)!

Suppose you want to get long on a breakout above a recent high spike, then
you would place a Buy Stop-Limit order above the market.  Once the stop
price is touched, the order instantly becomes a limit order at the limit
price.  By specifying the same limit price and stop price, you guarantee
that no slippage can occur.  This order is a bit like entering a stop order
....but one where you pre-define what slippage, if any, you are prepared to
accept.

STOP-LIMIT ORDER: becomes a limit order when the the stop price is touched
STOP ORDER: becomes a market order when the stop price is touched

The downside to a stop-limit order (where the limit and stop price are the
same) is that the market blasts right through the stop price leaving you
unfilled.  The order will still remain active: it just sits there as a
plain limit order until you cancel it.  When you use a stop-limit order,
you are effectively saying "I only want the trade at X price or I don't
want the trade". By contrast a plain stop order which becomes a market
order would have filled you somewhere.  I have seen a stop-limit order in
the NQ go unfilled but it is very rare.  My preference for zero slippage on
entry makes the use of stop-limits a great tool for initiating a new
trade.  For stop-loss orders, you need to guarantee that you are "out"
which means that a plain stop order is the best one to use.

S.