RE: Windows XP

I have been running TS2000 on Windows XP Pro on RC2 and Final release
for a while now - installs and runs well, I would say even appears to
run slightly faster than Win 2K.

I have done clean installs as well as upgrades from Win 2K -

One word of warning with XP make sure you have at hand compatible
drivers (one problem I am still experiencing for a standard Diamond SST
modem the included driver does not work even though the diagnostics pass
the modem (receiving no dial tone), ADSL works well, and ICS).

Also backup software may need to be upgraded, cd burning with third
party progs such as Nero require ASPI drivers - I have spent a lot of
time trawling thru the various XP newsgroups, which I do recommend to
any person installing becoming familiar with.

Microsoft.windowsxp.help and support / hardware / general
Alt.os.windows-xp
www.computing.net xp forum
Plus others

The system restore points built into the OS do work well. Also the built
in firewall does work apparently well (not that I use it) passes Steve
Gibson's tests. The system does also seem to get a little quicker over
time.

>From what I understand there is little difference between Home and Pro -
See below.

However all in all I do recommend Windows XP - well until I get a BSOD -
jk.

Saul

Extract from
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

Pro features that aren't in Home Edition
The following features are not present in Windows XP Home Edition.

Power user
Remote Desktop -
All versions of Windows XP--including Home Edition--support Remote
Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help
desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for
troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop
feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two
obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their
corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network.
You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a
Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP
Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only
Pro can be the server.
Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two
microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.

Backup and Automated System Recovery (ASR) -
In a somewhat controversial move, Microsoft has removed the Backup
utility from Windows XP Home Edition. The reason for this probably has
to do with the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System Recovery
(ASR) tool into Backup. ASR will help recover a system from a
catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable.
ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from Setup, allowing you to return
your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has
to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as System
Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from within
the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, there is no Backup
utility in Home Edition at all, a major feature gap.

Dynamic Disk Support -
Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports
dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the
standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS
other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on
portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical
Disk Manager.

Fax -
Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the box, though
it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.
Internet Information Services/Personal Web Server - Home Edition does
not include the IIS Web server 5.1 software found in Pro.
Security

Encrypting File System -
Windows XP Professional supports the Encrypting File System (EFS), which
allows you encrypt individual files or folders for local security (EFS
is not enabled over a network). EFS-protected files and folders allows
users to protect sensitive documents from other users.

File-level access control -
Any user with Administrator privileges can limit access to certain
network resources, such as servers, directories, and files, using access
control lists. Only Windows XP Professional supports file-level access
control, mostly because this feature is typically implemented through
Group Policy Objects, which are also not available in Home Edition.

"C2" certification - Microsoft will attempt to have Windows XP
Professional certified with the "C2" security designation, a largely
irrelevant status, but one which will not be afforded to Home Edition.
Management

Domain membership -
Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain. For
obvious reasons, the Domain Wizard is also missing in Home Edition.

Group Policy -
Since Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory
domain, Group Policy--whereby applications, network resources, and
operating systems are administered for domain users--is not supported
either.

IntelliMirror -
Microsoft lumps a wide range of semi-related change and configuration
management technologies under the IntelliMirror umbrella, and none of
these features are supported in the consumer oriented Home Edition.
IntelliMirror capabilities include user data management;
centrally-managed software installation, repair, updating, and removal;
user settings management; and Remote Installation Services (RIS), which
allows administrators to remotely install the OS on client systems.

Roaming profiles -
This feature allows users to logon to any computer in an Active
Directory network and automatically receive their customized settings.
It is not available in Home Edition, which cannot logon to an Active
Directory domain.
Corporate deployment