Re: Chaos theory

> Have you ever considered that Elliot and Prechter never 'invented'
> the term: 'fractal'? It was only after Bill Williams came out with
> his 'Profitunity' concept and his trading chaos book that Prechter
> decided to jump on the bandwagon to exploit chaos for financial gains.

Trading Chaos: Applying Expert Techniques to Maximize Your Profits

Williams, Bill / 1995

Our Hardback Price: $39.00 - You Save: 40%

"starting with a clear, nontechnical introduction (Level One: The
Novice Trader) all the way to chart analysis,
fractals, Elliott Wave, and..."

Does Williams have earlier books on Chaos?
At least Williams acknowledges Elliott: Mandelbrot claims he'd never
heard of him before 1994 and then he'd only "scanned" his work,
even though Prechter (note the dates) :

"(I) sent them
to Mandelbrot (to no response), he had in his possession
Elliott Wave Principle (1978) and my essay, "The Fractal
Nature of Social Progress," at least as early as 1986."

"the socionomic thesis first presented in his 1985 and 1986 papers,
"Popular Culture and the Stock Market" and "The Fractal Nature of
Social Progress [I don't think it was for sale]"

http://www.investavenue.com/resume.html?ID=136

Prechter's 1978 Book, page 1:

"Elliott's [1938] discovery that social, or crowd behavior trends
and reverses in recognizable patterns....he then described
how these structures link together to form larger versions
of the same patterns, how those in turn are the building
blocks for patterns of the next larger size, and so on."

Did Mandelbrot "scan" page one?

I don't think anyone ever said Prechter or Elliott coined
the term "fractal," nor that others haven't contributed,
but doesn't the above describe a market fractal? Can
anyone post an ACTUAL quote from someone else
describing market fractals from earlier dates?

> Prechter decided to jump on the
> bandwagon to exploit chaos for financial gains.

Prechter has "sold" the EWP for as little as $5 a copy.
He basically retired from public appearances
and personal self promotions in the media in 1988.
I'm curious: do you know of any other published
writer who has given away a books for S&H?
Anyone got "free" copies of Mandelbrot's or
William's books?

BW

PS:

>  I know Elliot waves.

With all due respect many of the rules you cited
have never appeared in Elliott's or Prechter's books.
Anyway, Elliott's rules aren't even the point: that's
above and beyond, or out in left field,
relative to the fractal issue.

>I know its subjectivity makes it fraught with danger
> in trading.

Everyone who posted on the subject
seems to agree with this. Trading is fraught with danger.
Systems with optimized money management concepts
are fraught with danger too.