When The Chips Are Down

Dear List Members,

With a grieving heart, I wish the United States as a country and all those
affected in the tragedy of September 11, 2001 a quick recovery with the
least pain. Obviously there is going to be a retaliation, for many reasons.
After that, no matter how extensive or prolonged it (the retaliation)
becomes, the chips will be down.

I am someone who believes in the doctrine that when something undesirable
happens to me, I prefer to first look inwards (at my own self-imposed
doctrine) to see whether I could have helped the situation. I have many
thoughts to give America in all of this, but I must admit I lack the
brilliance to put them eloquently or accurately enough. I'll therefore use
some help, if you don't mind. People such as Mark Jurik have said some very
relevant and appropriate things. The one that captures the majority of my
thinking, however, will have to be the following extract from Bob Prechter's
"Elliott Waves and Social Reality." A free link to this article was posted
on this forum a couple of days ago, and I quote from the article:

"A Long-Term Development

Today's terrorist focus on the United States is NOT an isolated,
inexplicable situation. The founding fathers, notably George Washington and
John Adams, warned our new country against foreign entanglements. They
begged us, in Washington's words, 'in regards to foreign nations...to have
with them as little POLITICAL connection as possible.' (Source:
http://www.virginia.edu/gwpapers/farewell/transcript.html.) Contrary to this
advice, many U.S. presidents of the twentieth century, usually citing
altruistic motives, have insinuated our government into foreign hives to
such an extent that we have finally stirred one set of bees into reacting.
Though no one has yet 'taken credit' for today's atrocities, the actions of
the perpetrators are surely irrational, perhaps based on dreams of global
domination or the hope of a glorious reward in the next world. That is,
generally speaking, what the founding fathers feared: the mire of foreign
political irrationality. The environment in which we are currently beginning
to suffer results from decades of redirected government policy, and the
underlying cause of THAT change is the initially brave but ultimately
reckless set of shared emotions underlying the magnificient ascent of Grand
Supercycle wave III. This is not to affix blame on 'us.' Many everyday
Americans have decried our 'police the world' policies, and our leaders'
penchant for well intentioned meddling has just been part of the social
pattern. Its outcome was therefore predictable. Tens of times during the
past decade, we at EWI cringed as our president issued yet another
threatening ultimatum to various other countries' governments (at least
seven, which we documented in EWT at the time). We thought, 'Does he know
what his attitude will lead to, how many Americans it will ultimately
endanger?' All the while, and in keeping with the waxing mood of
invincibility, our 'fundamentals' - in terms national intelligence, security
and military preparedness - were going to seed. Don't let anyone tell you
that these attacks and our lack of preparation are a surprise. They are the
result of feelings of complacency and overconfidence born of the final
decades of GS III. Ironic as it may seem, the suffering in bear markets is
greatly the consequence of cavalier policies adopted late in bull markets."

Unquote, and I rest my case.

Sincerely,

Ola.