RE: system suggestions

> The data has an odbc to it, so you can generate a file in many
> formats. My conceptual thoughts are to merge the data into an ELA
> syntax and then include it in a system where the transactions
> become the buy/sell/exit conditions, however that seems clumsy or
> too un-automated and I'm looking for a "better" way.

I'd say that's a perfectly reasonable alternative.  I can think of
two ways to do it:

1. Do as you're thinking:  write a perl script or something like that
to read the file, make the buy/sell decisions, and then generate EL
to buy or sell on a given day.  Since you're just looking for
historic confirmation that the technique works long-term, this would
work fine.  Obviously you couldn't use it to trade realtime but I
suspect that's not necessary in this case.

2. Write a system that reads the data file and uses that data to
decide when to trade.  This lets you express your buy/sell decisions
in EL instead of in your perl script, with all the optimization &etc
tools available to you, but other than that doesn't have any huge
advantages over #1.  You'd have to get a DLL that can read the file,
since EL contains no file-reading functions.  (A huge omission IMHO.)

If you're looking for a one-time feasability study, #1 works fine.
If you want to be able to tweak the system logic, #2 is a bit better.
 But you can tweak the logic in a perl script, too.

Gary