Re: edgy situation -- controling energy sources

it depends on what your definition of alternative energy technologies is. it can be photovoltaics, geothermal, windpower or even oil! yes oil, such as ternary and quaternary oil recovery methods (miscible or immiscible co2 floods, exotic polymer floods), shale or synthetic oil, and so on. the majors have been working on these for decades, but the main problem is that the input energy is way greater than output energy, and as such, most are uneconomical even at today's oil prices. and gov tax credits are a piss in the ocean with regard to development costs. these guys work to make a profit and alternative energies are largely cash blackholes. a barrel of oil and a mmcf of gas still represent the best bang for the energy buck since nuke plants are a eco no-no. exotic methods are just too costly to develop and uneconomical to operate even for big international oils.

TJ

btw reagan cut a deal with the saudi's for cheap oil that damned the domestic oil industry to hell in '85...reagan was not a friend of the smaller oil companies although that's where he got a lot of his support