cutdown cpu server usage

This note is from the last few notes.
Can it be elaborated / expanded.
I have been using TS4 for 5 years and very happy with it.
I am using P3, 5oo mhz, 256 ram,

How does the note below help TS4.

Frank Ashok
619 661 6600 ext 307

Solution:
Go to server, click "status log," click "background," and leave it open. 1-4
% CPU usage
on a AMD 900 for me when the markets are closed.

BW

Question:
Is there a  way to run TS4 without the server(OR_SIG) activated? Has anyone
developed
a hack/patch to do so? I can't stand the fact that I must tollerate "offline"
mode with the server taking up 100% CPU... Surely someone somewhere has had
this same annoyance...

Also, the command to run offline server is:
C:\local\OMEGA\PROG\OR_SIG.EXE c:\local\omega\prog\demo 3000
What is the "demo 3000" arg, and perhaps will a mod reduce its cpu usage?