Re: THE ANSWER

you quoted:

What makes jihad a
binding institution in Islam is the fact that it is a communal not an
individual obligation.  The incentive for jihad lies in its two-fold
benefits: booty for this life and martyrdom with its immediate
promise for a blissful eternal hereafter for those killed in the
battle..."

to which the ancient romans, and still we today, would respond:

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

(it means something like: it is sweet and right to die for the fatherland.)

So what is the difference between he who dies in a jihad and today's
posthumous medal of honor winners?

The former gives his life to an entity in which church and state are mixed.

That is a substantial difference in our two systems, but note too the
similarity as well: both condone the giving of one's life for the community.

Demistify the concept of "jihad" and what do you see?

A coffin, a black veiled grieving widow holding a folded American flag...